Secured by Design
Who are Secured by Design?
Established in 1989, Secured by Design (SBD) is the title for a group of national police projects focusing on the design and security for new and refurbished homes, commercial premises and car parks as well as the acknowledgement of quality security products and crime prevention projects. It supports the principles of ‘designing out crime’ through physical security and processes. It is supported by the Home Office and the Planning Section of Communities and Local Government (CLG), as well as many Local Authorities across the UK.
Secured by Design works with the industry and test houses to create high level security standards, responding to trends in crime, and has given input on a number of key standards .The principles of the scheme have been proven to reduce the risk of crime and the fear of crime.
Who Can Be a Secured by Design Member?
Secured by Design member company status is awarded to companies producing security products that pass standards and tests nominated by the police service. The standards and related tests must demonstrate the product effectiveness in preventing or reducing crime, usually by resistance to physical attack. Secured by Design does not sell or provide any guarantees in respect of the product; it is the attack test standard that we support.
Licensed products include: bicycle security solutions, anti-theft devices, personal security and lone worker devices, windows, doors and locks, IT and computer security, empty property protection, asset tracking and recovery, and many more.
Secured by Design Facts and Figures
- Secured by Design developments (those using products and materials that meet Secured by Design Standards) are up to 75% less likely to be burgled and show a reduction of 25% in criminal damage
- The additional cost of using Secured by Design standards in the average home is only around £170
- The Association of British Insurers has estimated that the introduction of Secured by Design standards across the UK would bring more than £3.2 billion worth of savings to the economy over 20 years
- Householders who aren’t offered security recommendations after a burglary are 69% more likely to suffer a repeat incident than those who are offered advice
- High crime is one reason why people move home. One survey noted that 5.3 million people said that concern about crime levels and a desire to move to a safer location was their main reason for moving home
- The London 2012 Olympic Park and the 2014 Commonwealth Games Village were both awarded full Secured by Design status
- A study of Glasgow Housing Association properties claimed that there had been a saving of £18,304 in the research area due (in some part at least) to the introduction of SBD
- SBD installation pays for itself in at the most 2 years in saved costs of crime with two alternative methods of measurement suggesting shorter periods of as little as eight months
- Crime in England and Wales is estimated to create 12 million tonnes of CO2 emissions – equivalent to 2% of the UK’s total CO2 output
Many of the MAX6MUM SECURITY products have been awarded ‘Secured by Design.’ Look for the SBD logo on the product packaging:
Further details of the scheme can be found on the Secured By Design website: www.securedbydesign.com